- Plant-based superfood
- Loaded with antioxidants
- An excellent source of magnesium – more magnesium than a serving of spinach
- 25 calories per tablespoon
I googled “cacao powder dessert” and found this recipe for no-bake brownies by Minimalist Baker. After a check in the pantry, I adapted the recipe for the ingredients I had on hand. The result was an insanely dense, chocolatey confection that no one can resist. Hubs literally said “I can’t stop eating these.”
You can see how few ingredients are required, and you can truly make these in just a few minutes.
No Bake Cacao Brownies
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, divided into 1 cup and 1/2 cup
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cups cacao powder
- 2 1/2 cups pitted dates (I used deglet noor)
- 2 Tbsp cacao nibs (I used Navitas Organic Sweet Nibs, which have a little bit of cane sugar.)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 almond milk or other nut milk
- 2 3.5 ounce bars of extra dark chocolate
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Instructions for brownies:
- Place dates in a large bowl. Pour boiling water over to cover and set aside for at least 30 minutes, then drain.
- Pulse 1 cup of walnuts in food processor until finely ground. Add the almond flour, cacao powder, and sea salt, and pulse to blend. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add drained dates to the food processor and pulse until chopped small and relatively consistent in texture. Transfer to another bowl.
- Put the nut/cacao mixture back in the food processor, and add spoonfuls of dates back in while pulsing to blend.
- Pulse until you get a soft, cookie dough consistency.
- Generously grease a square 9×9 glass or ceramic dish with coconut oil. Press the brownie mixture evenly into the dish.
- Roughly chop the remaining 1/2 of walnuts and cacao nibs in food processor or with chopper. Sprinkle over brownie mixture and press in slightly.
Instructions for frosting:
- Warm almond milk in the microwave for a minute.
- Chop the chocolate bars finely and add to warm almond milk. Let it sit for a few minutes, the chocolate will melt.
- Stir in sea salt and coconut oil; blend thoroughly until mixture is thick and creamy.
- Pour over brownies and spread evenly. Top with a few more chopped cacao nibs if you want.