encourage: to inspire with courage (Merriam-Webster)
If you are feeling weak or discouraged, turn to the book of Joshua. Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent by Moses to explore the land of Canaan. Because of his faithfulness and obedience, Joshua became Moses’ successor, and after his death led the Israelites across the Jordan into the Promised Land. Before the people could settle, God told Joshua to conquer all the tribes living there.
It was a daunting command, but God instructed Joshua exactly what to do, and these words are just as applicable today: “Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.“
God exhorted Joshua over and over and over: “Be strong and courageous.” Joshua succeeded in everything God gave him to do, because of his faith and obedience.
God must have really, really meant “Be strong and courageous,” because He said it eight times. Pray these verses over yourself, your family, and your fears, and be encouraged that God will be with you wherever you go.
- “Be strong and courageous.” Joshua 1:6
- “Be strong and very courageous.” Joshua 1:7
- “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
- “Only be strong and courageous!” Joshua 1: 18
- “Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged.” Joshua 8:1
- “Do not be afraid of them.” Joshua 10:8
- “Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged. Be strong and courageous. This is what the Lord will do to all the enemies you are going to fight.” Joshua 10:25
- “Be very strong.” Joshua 23:6
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.